Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Finishing the year on an upswing

A little bird arrived at the feeder this morning, trilling that it was officially the first day of winter, a fact I already knew as the first snowflakes of a passing ocean storm covered the ground. It’s three days until Christmas, and a resolute band of sentimentalists, each humming the old Bing Crosby chestnut “White Christmas,” have their collective fingers crossed that the dusting will last until Christmas morning.

Another clue that the holiday is coming is the spate of e-mail holiday greetings I have been receiving for a few days now. I still receive old-fashioned mailed cards, which I especially appreciate as these are among the nicest greeting cards received.

The other clue is the buildup of e-mail messages advising that this or that company will stay closed through the coming week to “allow their employees to celebrate the holiday season,” an admirable gesture. Actually, I fall in this category, taking vacation between Christmas and New Year. So don’t look for a blog from me next week.

I always despise the end-of-year editorial musings that are beginning to appear, which is funny because I am an historian of sorts, but not an instant historian, I guess. Thus, I refrain from viewing and/or reading all the retrospectives that will permeate the Web, television news, and newspapers.

Since I will be on vacation next week, I’ll give you my annual review now. 2010 was a better year than 2009: the recession ended, officially, and the laser industry, for the most part, turned the corner and finished up the year with good financials and backlogs that presage a better 2011.

The laser industry breathed a big sigh of relief that the corner had been turned and then patted itself on the back that some had set revenue and backlog records and that most see a strong first half in 2011. On that note, what can I say? Finishing the year on the upswing is a nice feeling, and the immediate future certainly looks bright for the industrial laser community.

So a very happy holiday to all, a special happy New Year, and hopes for a more profitable year.

Oh, by the way, the sun just came out and melted all the snow, so we, here in this part of New England, will probably have a green Christmas. Sorry, Bing.

No comments:

Post a Comment